Thursday, December 3, 2009

Illinois Media


I saw an article in the Illinois Times about Mangalitsa pigs and pork by Julianne Glatz. It is quite informative.

The article's photos really stood out.

E.g. there's a photo of some meat. It looks pale and lean, like chicken. I've reproduced it above, along with a photo I took of a Mangalitsa roast. I don't think they've killed their pigs yet in Illinois, so I'm guessing they just got a stock photo of pork. The article does explain that Mangalitsa pork is very fatty, but you wouldn't think that if you just saw the stock photo.


They've also got a picture of Swallow-bellied Mangalitsa with a hernia. That probably has people scratching their heads.

In any case, I'm just happy to see people excited about this stuff.

I understand that Foods In Season has sold Mangalitsa (by Wooly Pigs) in the Chicago area, partly due to previous similar publicity. Basically, some people who hear about it want to try it - and Foods in Season is essentially the only distributor that's able to take an order and FedEx the stuff off.

No comments: